In Search Of Sundials: Siófok and Zamárdi, Hungary
In summer, many people chose Lake Balaton again for relaxation, but this lake is also beautiful in the fall. Siófok is perhaps one of the most popular destinations in the region. And once we are here, let's explore the town's sundials, because there are more here....
I am often in Siófok because of work, and on the other hand, my journey home is best done from here. If I have some time before the bus or train - and I do quite often -, I try to use it usefully. I have been looking into the sundials in the area for a long time, but since most of the information is at least 30 years old, many of them may no actual. But the situation can be improved with a little research (e.g. the writings of the Hungarian Astronomical Associations' Sundial Specialist Group). So, on a hot, bright June day, I started wandering around the town center. First, I visited the Millennium Park (formerly: Antal Váradi Square) next to the train station, where the Music Pavilion, the fountain and István Martsa's sculpture, the Showering Woman from 1960, are almost mandatory sights (pictures 1 and 2). Right next to the Imre Kálmán Promenade, a few centimeters above ground level, is perhaps the most well-known local sundial (picture 3).
It is almost horizontal in design, with a complicated scaling at first glance. But the inscription at the “bottom” of the dial already makes the picture clearer: „A NAPÓRA A VALÓDI HELYI IDŐT A KÜLSŐ, A NYÁRI IDŐSZÁMÍTÁS SZERINTI HELYI IDŐT A BELSŐ SKÁLÁN MUTATJA. A ZÓNAIDŐ AZ IDŐEGYENLET SEGÍTSÉGÉVEL SZÁMÍTHATÓ KI.” ("The sundial shows the real local time on the other scale, the local time according to summer time on the inner scale. Zone time can be calculated with the help of time equation"). Its shadow caster is missing, probably broken (let’s just say that I personally don’t understand what joy there is in that, or what sense there is in someone damaging a sundial – or any object at all). The device was made in 1995. The next sundial is located a comfortable ten-minute walk from here, at the main square, on the wall of the town library (picture 4). The relatively new sundial with a vertical arrangement has a special design: its shadow caster is none other than the corner of the protruding facade above it. Designed and created by Dr. János Molnár in 2017.
Then I crossed the Sió Canal to look for the sundial near McDonald’s, but I was unsuccessful (as it turned out, I was looking in the wrong place). Instead, I visited the Trianon Monument (picture 5) and then headed to the Balaton coast. I failed again with the Sió Street sundial, although here, presumably, only the newer of the two devices mentioned exists.
However, it was quite easy to spot the clock on the pier: even from a distance, one of the city's attractions, the "Blessed Angel of Peace" statue (picture 6), is easily recognizable. The latter was created by Russian artist Pyotr Timofeevich Stronsky for the 6th World Congress of Finno-Ugric Peoples. It was moved to its current location in 2012.
Tourists admire Lake Balaton at its base, but fishermen also try their luck nearby. But on the S-SW side of the column holding the statue is the sought-after sundial, which was also made by BAHART (abbreviation for the Balaton Shipping Limited) staff in 2013 based on the designs of Dr. János Molnár. It is now a rare type, but was once common in ancient Babylonia and Italy. It is vertical, with the following inscription: „AZ ÁRNYÉKVÉG HŰ SZOLGA, A NAPNYUGTÁIG TARTÓ IDŐT MUTATJA” (“The shadows' end is a faithful servant, shows the time until sunset"). Since the attached photo (picture 7) was taken on June 23 at 1:36 p.m. and the Sun was setting after 8 p.m. at that time, I think this is plausible. A young lady also voiced her concern that the construction of the clock and the time it indicated were incomprehensible to her – I confess, I felt the same way at the time due to fatigue and haste. In any case, it was interesting to see this sundial, as I didn't have time or energy for anything else. Apparently Siófok hides a few more of them - I hope it makes not too excessively...
The truth is that I successfully found a sundial in Zamárdi, before Siófok, near the coast, on the southern wall of the resort at 18. Damjanich Street, about 7-8 meters high. It's vertical. On its dial you can read the inscription "ELSŐ ZAMÁRDI NAPÓRA" ("First sundial in Zamárdi", picture 8):
That's all for now about the sundials in this area. Until then, I took photos of several sundials in Hungary. I'll be posting those soon.
* * *
If you like this blog please subscribe and share on the social media. And I you can please support my activity. Thank you.








Comments
Post a Comment